Each of the two descriptions should describe and discuss:
1. The mega projects under construction (e.g. size, scope, contract sum etc.)
2. The mega site set up layout and facilities
3. The form of construction and materials specified and/or temporary works being used
4. Any specialist plant & equipment being used for complicated projects.
5. Any unusual features of the construction of the project or links to similar project that have been looked at.
6. Issues relating to compliance with the Considerate Contractors Scheme.
Insurance in discussion that it is commented on the critical factors for the success of the project and the issues that were being dealt with.
Section 2 above should be supplemented by a series of original photographs (minimum 6 No.) so to form a visual report or photographic log, titled and cross-referenced to text and fully annotated with relevant arrowed comments and explanations.
Layout & framing of photographs; clarity of written explanations and the sequencing of images; general neatness and engaging presentation. Comprehension of Roles & Responsibilities
Identification of the roles and responsibilities of the following personnel and the likely professional body that they would affiliate with. Linking them to the work that they might do under a traditional contract with an example and clarification to whom they are accountable.
II. M & E Engineer
III. Cost control surveyor(site based)
IV. Site Engineer
V. Environmental manager (site based)
b) Identification of the main health & safety legislation that affects construction workers, employers and suppliers. State clearly the intention of the Act and its main themes. Identification of legal areas of improvement.
c) Identification of the main H&S regulations which protect workers in the following situations, and the precautions / control methods that is required:
• Placing, compacting and finishing concrete
• Erecting a tall steel frame building
• Undertaking maintenance on a deep enclosed sewer
Sectors in the Industry
From the following list of Construction Sectors: the nature of the design & construction work is to be described undertaken in one of the following sectors:
Sector 1 – Domestic housing market
Sector 2 – Infrastructure / transportation
Sector 3 – Energy, waste management & utilities
Sector 4 – Industrial / commercial developments
Sector 5 – Refurbishment / regeneration projects
Sector 6 – Leisure, culture or sport
Definition of the type of ‘client body’ involved in given sector and how the risk is typically spread between the client & contractor. Clearly description of the nature of the client in terms of public, private or and joint ownership and how that affects the design, construction, finance and operation of its projects.
Inclusion of two case study of a recently built project and include overview of project / scope / contract value and length of contract / geographical location / engineering challenges faced / etc.
Challenges & Opportunities
With reference to research from current journals, trade papers, books and the internet, write an essay entitled ‘The challenges and opportunities faced by the Malaysian Construction Industry today’. A response should be included as well argued discussion contained within a clear structure, such that it:
• Identifies the issues
• Describe the challenges & opportunities
• Provides a clear logical conclusion
• Demonstrates a depth of research & cross referencing.
Site Visit Reports
Undertaking a number of site visits as part of this module. For assessment purposes it is needed to undertake two site visits.
The purposes of the visits are to:
• See different methods of construction process & operations;
• Learn about the use of construction labor, materials, plant and equipment;
• Appreciate the complexities of organizing & planning construction work,
• Familiarize with safe site procedures;
• Develop understanding within the industry.